Date:      3 Feb 97 10:22:11 -0600
From:      "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Joe Greco" <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question: 2.1.7?

	On Mon, Feb 3, 1997 8:22 AM, Joe Greco <mailto:jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
wrote:
> With the recent exploits for things such as talkd, sendmail, and the
> wonderful freakin' locale processing problem I see on bugtraq, would
> it be wise to consider a 2.1 point release that addressed these issues?

Personally, I do not feel that a 2.1.7 release is appropriate. 2.2 is "just
around the corner".
However, I do feel that the patches need to be committed to the 2.1 tree.

Those who are interested can track 2.1 via CTM or CVSup.
It is my intention to continue supplying the CTM updates for 2.1 until such
time as
either 1) all those with commit privledges refuse to make additional
commits or 2) 2.2 has been tested sufficiently that we can reasonably
recommend that users (including those who run "mission critical" situations
such as eg. ISP servers) upgrade to it.

However, I am not within the group of comitters and can therefore simply
add my voice to those who encourage that these important corrections be
committed to the 2.1 branch as well as later branches.