Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:38:14 +0000
From:      "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange Behavior with ALL Java based GUI applications

Hello,
=09I am having an awful time with any sort of Java application that requi=
res a
graphical user interface. I am using the native JVM 1.3.1 provided in the
ports collection. If I try to run ANY of the following applications:

RealPlayer
Eclipse
JEdit
Forte
etc.

I get errors such as

Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfActivat=
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:ManagerParentActivate(=
)'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfBeginLi=
ne
Warning: ... found while parsing
'<Key>osfBeginLine:ManagerGadgetTraverseHome()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfActivat=
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:ManagerParentActivate(=
)'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfActivat=
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:DrawingAreaInput()
ManagerParentActivate()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfUp
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfUp:DrawingAreaInput()
ManagerGadgetTraverseUp()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfSelect
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfSelect:ManagerGadgetSelect()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfSelect
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfSelect:MenuBarGadgetSelect()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfActivat=
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:ManagerParentActivate(=
)'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfHelp
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfHelp:MenuHelp()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfActivat=
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:PrimitiveParentActivat=
e()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors

The result is that the keyboard becomes completely unusable. This is
consistent across ALL Java applications that have some for of GUI other t=
han
the deployment tool that comes with the J2EE SDK. I have tried these
applications with both the JDK 1.3.1 and the linux-sun 1.4.1 port. I real=
ly
have no idea what this is happening. Any assistance would be greatly
apprecitated. My system info is

I am running 4.7 PRE-RELEASE.

Thanks.

Weston