Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:38:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Petre Bandac <g38@rdsbv.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oops I did it again :-)

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Petre Bandac wrote:

> 	edited /etc/fstab for userquota but it says the kernel ain't supporting it
> :-)
>
> 	now it's being mounted as read-only and I can't undo the changes to fstab;
> what's the line I must write at boot time so I can mount the partition (I'm
> talking about the root partition /) read-write.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> petre

I think typing mount -u /
should work.  This won't give you any editor but ed, a line editor,
however, because for those you need to mount your /usr file system.
Since /etc/fstab is corrupted, you can't do mount -a.  So you need
to use /sbin/mount /dev/ad0s1f /mnt (adjusting as required for file
system and mountpoint).  It may help to type
/bin/cat /etc/fstab
so you have the contents of /etc/fstab on the screen to look at
to get the info on the file systems.

	Annelise

If you have a bad line in fstab for mounting /, you may have to
type /sbin/smount /dev/ad0s1a / instead of mount -u /

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC