Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 18:21:54 +0200
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        amora@zoom.es
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Becoming a daemon the long way...

Hi,

>large number of zombies when it goes REALLY short of memory -and
>probably of CPU-. This is annoying, since you've got your process
>table plagued with these nasty guys. Again, are there kernel-related
>conditions -say race conditions, I don't know- that makes a system
>prone to generate zombies? Has this been observed in FreeBSD?

I haven't noted this behaviour on my personal FreeBSD server (2.1 series),
but this server is usually not to overloaded. I know from friends of mine
which are using Solaris 2.5 (Ultra-class machines), that these machines
tend to keep zombies. They have to reboot their machines once a week to
clean the process table.

ciao
  lutz

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.