Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 00:04:08 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware port stability

At 10:58 PM -0400 8/1/00, Vladimir N. Silyaev wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 10:01:26PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > I am running 4.0-20000625-STABLE, and had vmware working.  I
> > noticed the port was updated with a newer version of vmware,
> > and a number of improvements that seemed nice.  So, I updated
> > my ports tree, rebuilt vmware2, and it installed fine without
> > any complaint.
> >
> > The result is that vmware runs, but if I try to start any
> > previously-working virtual machine I get a new error about
> > "could not open /dev/vmnet1", and the virtual machine just
> > stops at that point.  It sure seems like I can not run any
> > machine which I previously had working, and I was given no
> > helpful warning of this until it was too late.
>
>Ok. All of this stuff only about networking, isn't it?

My virtual machines no longer work at all.  Vmware complains
about /dev/vmnet1, and then stops.  It will not let the virtual
machine continue to boot up.  Apparently I can not start up any
of my previously-working vmware systems (unless perhaps I fiddle
around with their configurations?).

Previously, those virtual systems worked (they were using virtual
disks, and bridging for networking).

> > I don't know what the best suggestion would be, but almost
> > all the other ports have a higher standard of compatibility
> > with previous freebsd releases than you have described for
> > vmware2.
>
>The problem is that all other ports don't include inside kernel
>modules.  BTW in -STABLE branch interfaces for ethernet drivers
>was changed two times for  last two months. And new source code
>don't compiled with old kernel and vise versa.

Well, then, there is still something wrong in the way things are
split between "the port" of vmware, and "the system code" which
vmware is taking advantage of.  You're saying that people should
not rebuild the vmware2 port unless they are also doing a
'make buildworld' at the same time.

> > but not in ways where people
> > trying the port for the first time have to dig up their
> > original copy of the 4.1-release CD's.
>
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>So for using networking stuff with new port you should have a
>post 4.1-Release system.
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It requires a POST-4.1-release system?  Already?  The ISO image
for 4.1 was just released today, and the vmware2 port is ALREADY
incompatible with it?  The 4.1-release CD's have not even been
pressed yet.  Can you see that this situation might be a bit
painful for people interested in vmware?

>Official port you should get from FreeBSD ports tree, or what's
>better from snapshot of ports tree from yours release/snapshot.

When I install freebsd (any release of freebsd), my standard
operating practice is to:
    1) install a minimal system, including the cvsup package.
    2) cvsup the ports tree
    3) install the ports I am interested in

Step #2 is a perfectly reasonable step for anyone to do, and I
would even argue that it is advisable.  Ignoring the vmware2
port for the moment, there are many other ports which may have
received important security patches since the release of the
CD I am installing from (if I am installing from a CD).

You're saying that if I do step #2, because maybe I want the
latest bug-fixes to Bind or Sendmail or whatever program that
evil forces have recently broken into, then I will immediately
be in the position of an unworkable vmware2 port.  This is
somewhat problematic.

Again, let me say that all this vmware-related work is very
excellent, and very much appreciated.  I'm just finding that
the port for it needs to behave a bit more like other ports,
or it gets very frustrating for anyone to try to use.  It is
the very fact that this vmware work is so useful which makes
it increasingly important that the port pays a little more
attention to being compatible with a wider range of freebsd
releases.  (instead of constantly requiring "freebsd-today"
for today's vmware2 port to work).

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute