Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:14:16 -0700
From:      Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound driver changes between 4.2 and 4.3

Jim Durham wrote:
> Are you running gnome desktop? I've been thrashing with esd and it sounds
> somewhat similar. lsof reports that /dev/dsp is not open to any process,
> but if you try to run timidity, it says "/dev/dsp busy". I have killed esd
> and made it work, but not always. I don't know what that my mean.

No, I dont have gnome or esd. Lsof also reports that no process has
/dev/dsp open. Even if I cold boot a system running 4.3, and try to
run quake2 (or some other linux program which uses /dev/dsp)
immediately after logging in, _certain_ that no process has yet
opened/tried to open it, it still returns EBUSY to the process.

I'm starting to get the feeling this is somehow related to linux
emulation because they are the only ones that get EBUSY under 4.3,
while native programs can open and use it without problem.

--
farooq <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>