Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:24:43 +0900
From:      "Luke Kearney" <lukek@consul.psinet.ad.jp>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ftp daemon is having a bad day

Hello All,
I am having one of those days when anything that could go wrong will go
wrong.  I was attempting to disable telnet access and set the logs for ftp
when all of a sudden this machine decided that it did not feel like running
ftp.  For what it is worth I had also added the pop3 service to inetd.conf
at pretty much the same time.  The thing is that instead of simply
re-booting I just killed the inetd process and attempted to restart it. From
the moment I did this ftp will not restart. I have included below the
relevant error messages and inetd.conf. If anyone can tell me what I have
managed to do and how to fix it I would be eternally greatfull.

Thanks in advance. Also if you could reply to me directly as well as a copy
to the list this will help me a lot. Thanks

Luke

joro# cat /var/log/messages |grep ftp
Jun 11 16:37:01 joro ftpd[458]: getpeername (/usr/libexec/ftpd): Socket
operation on non-socket
Jun 11 16:50:43 joro ftpd[648]: getpeername (/usr/libexec/ftpd): Socket
operation on non-socket

joro# inetd -d
ADD : ftp proto=tcp accept=1 max=0 user=root group=(null)class=daemon
builtin=0x0 server=/usr/libexec/ftpd pol
icy=""
inetd: ftp/tcp: ipsec initialization failed; in entrust
inetd: ftp/tcp: ipsec initialization failed; out entrust
inetd: enabling ftp, fd 4
inetd: registered /usr/libexec/ftpd on 4
ADD : telnet proto=tcp accept=1 max=0 user=root group=(null)class=daemon
builtin=0x0 server=/usr/libexec/telne
td policy=""
inetd: telnet/tcp: ipsec initialization failed; in entrust
inetd: telnet/tcp: ipsec initialization failed; out entrust
inetd: enabling telnet, fd 5
inetd: registered /usr/libexec/telnetd on 5
ADD : comsat proto=udp accept=0 max=1 user=tty group=ttyclass=daemon
builtin=0x0 server=/usr/libexec/comsat po
licy=""
inetd: comsat/udp: ipsec initialization failed; in entrust
inetd: comsat/udp: ipsec initialization failed; out entrust
inetd: enabling comsat, fd 6
inetd: registered /usr/libexec/comsat on 6
ADD : ntalk proto=udp accept=0 max=1 user=tty group=ttyclass=daemon
builtin=0x0 server=/usr/libexec/ntalkd pol
icy=""
inetd: ntalk/udp: ipsec initialization failed; in entrust
inetd: ntalk/udp: ipsec initialization failed; out entrust
inetd: enabling ntalk, fd 7
inetd: registered /usr/libexec/ntalkd on 7

Copy of inetd.conf here

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/inetd.conf,v 1.44.2.3 2000/10/04 07:58:51 kris Exp $
#
# Internet server configuration database
#
#       @(#)inetd.conf  5.4 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
#
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd    telnetd
#shell  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd       rshd
#login  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind    rlogind
#finger stream  tcp     nowait/3/10 nobody /usr/libexec/fingerd fingerd -s
#exec   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rexecd     rexecd
#uucpd  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/uucpd      uucpd
#nntp   stream  tcp     nowait  usenet  /usr/libexec/nntpd      nntpd
# run comsat as root to be able to print partial mailbox contents w/ biff,
# or use the safer tty:tty to just print that new mail has been received.
comsat  dgram   udp     wait    tty:tty /usr/libexec/comsat     comsat
ntalk   dgram   udp     wait    tty:tty /usr/libexec/ntalkd     ntalkd
#tftp   dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd
/tftpboot
#bootps dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/bootpd     bootpd
#
# "Small servers" -- used to be standard on, but we're more conservative
# about things due to Internet security concerns.  Only turn on what you
# need.
#
#daytime stream tcp     nowait  root    internal
#daytime dgram  udp     wait    root    internal
#time   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#time    dgram  udp     wait    root    internal
#echo   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#echo   dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
#discard stream tcp     nowait  root    internal
#discard dgram  udp     wait    root    internal
#chargen stream tcp     nowait  root    internal
#chargen dgram  udp     wait    root    internal
#
# Kerberos authenticated services
#
#klogin stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind    rlogind -k
#eklogin stream tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind
   rlogind -k -x
#kshell stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd       rshd -k
#kip    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/kipd       kipd
#
# CVS servers - for master CVS repositories only!  You must set the
# --allow-root path correctly or you open a trivial to exploit but
# deadly security hole.
#
#cvspserver     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/cvs
   cvs --allow-root=/
your/cvsroot/here pserver
#cvs            stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/cvs
   cvs --allow-root=/
your/cvsroot/here kserver
#
# RPC based services (you MUST have portmapper running to use these)
#
#rstatd/1-3     dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/libexec/rpc.rstatd  rpc.rstatd
#rusersd/1-2    dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/libexec/rpc.rusersd rpc.rusersd
#walld/1        dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/libexec/rpc.rwalld  rpc.rwalld
#pcnfsd/1-2     dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/libexec/rpc.pcnfsd  rpc.pcnfsd
#rquotad/1      dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/libexec/rpc.rquotad rpc.rquotad
#sprayd/1       dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/libexec/rpc.sprayd  rpc.sprayd
#
# example entry for the optional pop3 server
#
pop3   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
qmail-popup    joro.consul.psinet.ad.jp /usr
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir
#
# example entry for the optional imap4 server
#
#imap4  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/imapd
imapd
#
# Return error for all "ident" requests
#
#auth   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#
# Provide internally a real "ident" service which provides ~/.fakeid
support,
# provides ~/.noident support, reports UNKNOWN as the operating system type
# and times out after 30 seconds.
#
#auth   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal        auth -r -f -n -o
UNKNOWN -
t 30
#
# Example entry for an external ident server
#
#auth   stream  tcp     wait    root    /usr/local/sbin/identd
 identd -w -t120
#
# Example entry for the optional qmail MTA
#  NOTE: This is no longer the correct way to handle incoming SMTP
#        connections for qmail.  Use tcpserver
(http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html)
#        instead.
#
#
# Enable the following two entries to enable samba startup from inetd
# (from the Samba documentation).
#
#netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/smbd smbd
#netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/sbin/nmbd nmbd

#
# IPv6 services
#
ftp     stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l
telnet  stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd    telnetd
#shell  stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd       rshd
#login  stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind    rlogind
#finger stream  tcp6    nowait/3/10 nobody /usr/libexec/fingerd fingerd -s
#
# IPv6 "Small servers"
#
#daytime stream tcp6    nowait  root    internal
#daytime dgram  udp6    wait    root    internal
#time   stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal
#time    dgram  udp6    wait    root    internal
#echo   stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal
#echo   dgram   udp6    wait    root    internal
#discard stream tcp6    nowait  root    internal
#discard dgram  udp6    wait    root    internal
#chargen stream tcp6    nowait  root    internal
#chargen dgram  udp6    wait    root    internal
#
# Return error for all IPv6 "ident" requests
#
#auth   stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal
#
# Example entry for a real IPv6 ident service similar to the one above for
IPv4.
#
#auth   stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal        auth -r -f -n -o
UNKNOWN -
t 30