Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:30:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>, Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WEP keys for an driver

Brooks Davis writes:
| On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 11:42:32AM -0700, Dave Cornejo wrote:
| > Some comments on your code:
| > - WEP keysare variable length from 5-13 bytes, you should just check for
| > >=5 & <=13 (it seems odd, but I have seen networks that use the odd
| > sizes).
|
| Since all the windows drivers I've looked at only allow 0, 5, and 13
| byte keys, I'd suggest only allowing those values.  That's what
| wicontrol does.

That's what I recall from Windows and I allow 0, 5 or 13 characters as
	0 				-> erase key
	0xDDDDDDDDDD			-> set 40 bit
	0xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD	-> set 128 bit
I also verified it did the right thing by booting back into Windows and
then running the WEP utility to see if it made the right change.  Also
did it as hex since that is what the WEP utility did.  The code would
probably work with ASCII strings but how do you encode 0-255 as a character
in an ASCII string?  BTW my test string was 0x001122334455 (for 40 bit).
Originally I wasn't doing a 40 bit or 128 and things didn't work.  Once
I started doing 40 bit or 128 bit keys then things worked fine.  Since
the programming doc didn't say anything about that I burned a few days on
that :-(

| > I didn't provide patches to ancontrol as you did, but I find ancontrol
| > is getting way too nasty with its switches.  Your patches look fine
| > to me except that I'd really like to see a better way to specify
| > volatile vs. persistent keys.
|
| You need to add ancontrol support or the patch is basicaly useless.  I'm
| looking forward to some sort of working crypto support for the aironet
| cards.

Well if you just download mine for now again at
	www.ambrisko.com/doug/an.patch.wep
That will get you going.  Some people other then myself are using it with
success.  It looks like it will get some more features since it looks
like he has gleaned some more knowledge then I was told.

Give it a try and let me know if you run into a problem.

Doug A.