Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 19:18:14 -0800
From:      "Jeffrey J. Ayres" <JeffAyres@worldnet.att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   command to vwm?

Hello,
         Thank you for the tip concerning recompiling.  However I'm
still having
problems.  For a fleeting moment I was able to get both the display
manager and the windows manager to work.  The mouse worked fine with the
window manager, for instance changing the size of the window and moving
it on the screen. However in order to log off I needed to cold boot the
system(control-alt-delete did not allow me to reboot).  The command I
used to enable the display manager was to start the display manager
during the boot edit /etc/ttys
ttys  "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm"  xterm  on secure
I intentionally left out the -nodaemon command.  I tried duplicating the
above command, and making sure the changes were read with
kill -1 1
Each time the display manager allows login though will not allow input
in the frameless xterm window. The cursor isn't filled in.
Both the startx and xinit commands put two windows on the screen, a
frameless xterm window and a framed xterm window.  The framed window
occupies about 1/5 of the right side of my 14" monitor. The remainder is
the frameless window.  Keyboard input into the framed window is
possible,
though the pointer/mouse does doesn't appear.  The framed window
responds to the command exit.
        What I would like is to enable the mouse it is much more
convenient
then having to learn 30-40 different commands just to position the
window.  I have checked the kernel config file and the xfree86 config
file both confirm the ps/2 mouse "/dev/psm0".  The kernel config file
lists a conflict, yet states conflict allowed, the conflict is with
syscons console driver (psm0 is at port 0x60-63, scd0 is at port
0x60-0x6f).  However since both the mouse and keyboard were functional I
doubt if the problem is a result of the conflict.  Rather it is probably
my ignorance of the proper commands to start xfree86.  Any hints on how
to enable the mouse?
        Oh yeah and I also tried redirecting the output to a file using
the
command
startx 2>&1 > /tmp/startx.log
with the result of opening the framed and frameless windows, still no
mouse.
I give up anybody got any cheese?
                                                Jeff