Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:37:42 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Stephen Roome wrote:
> > So, can someone let me know what parts of world need to be built and what
> > parts don't, for me to at least have ps working.
>
> 	Before doing ps/w, you have to rebuild lib/libkvm...that's the only
> library that I *know* of that needs to be rebuilt when kernel structures
> change :(

Okay, that's done and ps/w etc. now works properly. I'll get hold of top
next.

My final wondering point is wether it's worth or necessary to try another
make world. Maybe it'll work now with a new kvm installed?

Also, do I actually need to recompile programs for them to take full
advantage of more CPU's or does the kernel handle this?

Oh, and does anyone have experience they could share on stability as a
web server ? The web pages at freebsd.org are... underfunded ?

(Obviously I have no idea how SMP works, I got a 2:1 in my advanced computer
architecture course at university hence I'm never going to understand any
real-world problems)

> Marc G. Fournier
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.
E: steve@visint.co.uk      M: +44 (0) 976 241 342
T: +44 (0) 117 973 0597    F: +44 (0) 117 923 8522