Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 21:23:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, sthaug@nethelp.no, jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which PCI Ethernet card is best for FreeBSD-current?

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > If it's DOWN, what happens to the link state?
> >
> >   Nothing.  It is only DOWN if link/carrier is lost.  If carrier/link is
> > lost, set interface to DOWN.  If carrier/link resumes set interface to UP.
> >
> > > Are you only considering 10bT here?
> >
> >   Even 10b5 can detect loss of carrier, perhaps not all adapters.
>
> I'm mostly concerned with link, not carrier.
>
> If it down's on link-lost, and link is asserted only if up, then BSD
> to BSD will have a hard time coming up.  Both of them would have to
> assert at the same time (unless you limit it to on-to-off link transition).

  Who said that?  I certainly never did.  Link is asserted by most cards
ALL THE TIME.  You have no choice.  All other cards I belive, the driver
transmits link as soon as the driver initializes.  This is all very
off-topic though.

> Even then, you would need to set the link up manually on both sides.
>
> I guess I just don't get the value of downing the link, ever.

  The link is NOT being downed.  I'm talking about the unix interface
device.  If the physical layer (whether link or carrier, or something
else) goes down, the unix interface should be flagged as DOWN.  When the
physical layer is restored, the unix interface should be flagged as UP.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.