Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 01:00:17 -0700
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "David Daugherty" <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Subject:   RE: ppp term issue

Two things that I can think of.
1: PAP and CHAP authentication. Take a look at your config file for ppp.
   It should have some entries for PAP and CHAP authentication. Many ISPs
   do not necessarily use standard login and password to log you on. They
   instead offer CHAP or PAP authentication services. You will want the
   following lines included in your config.
      accept pap
      accept chap
      disable pap
      disable chap

2: Modem init info. When communicating with a modem. the AT lets the modem
   know that the following chars (up to the next new line) are for the
   modem to use to set the configuration. AT alone is just telling the
   modem to return an OK. But just AT alone is not gonna set anything.
   There are some init strings to pass to the modem on the first line.
   The values AT&F will load the default modem strings. Many modems also
   offer ATZ to set another modem string. Several modems will set the
   same init strings with these.

   Also: You are able to log in right? What errors do you get from the
   ISP when you login and the session fails under FreeBSD?
      Are you able to log in, then get wierd characters?
	Do you get Login Failure Notices?
	Please let us know of exactly what The ISP does.