Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 09:29:13 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
Cc:        root@bonsai.its.utas.edu.au, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading

Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com> wrote:

> 		SLiRP: (a Linux user/level IP emulator)

SLiRP doesn't really have anything to do with Linux (aside from it's being
a Unix box that the software can run on).  Actually, I think its code is
based on the BSD networking source code.

I currently use it on my work systems (Suns are what our modems are hooked
up to at the moment) to give a PPP connection from home.  The basic
overview is that my home systems are setup as private network (10.x.x.x)
IP addresses.  By default, my home system is 10.0.2.3 and it presents a
10.x.x.x address that I can use at home that gets mapped my work DNS
server, another address that gets mapped to a SLiRP control port (I can
telnet to it).  At any rate, this doesn't require any special knowledge on
my home FreeBSD system (aside from a PPP chat script that does login:,
password:, then passes a "exec slirp" command and general IP address
config stuff).  As far as the Internet is concerned I'm coming from one of
my work systems (my home system isn't _really_ on The Net)...works fine
for most stuff I care about as an occasional network client.  It can even
do some port redirection (so I can set my $DISPLAY to ":5" or whatever on
the work system and it gets mapped to my home X11 display).  I think
there's some stuff to let you allow for access to telnetd and ftpd on my
home system from work system(s), but I neither need nor use that stuff.

I've posted my config files and description of the setup to this mailing
list (or possibly some other freebsd-*@freebsd.org list), so looking for
my last name in the archives would probably turn up something if you're
interested.
--
Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500