Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:00:35 -0600
From:      Paul <tribble@tribble.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New kernel option CPU_ENABLE_SSE

Once upon a time, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> scribed:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 06:00:40PM -0400, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> > Am I correct in assuming that "older generation" 686 CPUs
> > (i.e. pre-Pentium-III) don't support SSE & that SSE is a
> > function/enhancement of "newer generation" CPUs?
>
> Yes.  I think it came in with the Pentium III.

Correct.  Pentium III supports SSE, as well do the newer Celeron chips
which are essentially PIIIs with less L2 cache.  That's my understanding,
anyhow.  Don't know anything about SSE2.  Considering how worthless PIVs
are, really, does it matter? :P

> Kris

Regards,
Paul
<tribble@tribble.net>
http://www.tribble.net/

Bush - not popularly elected, making unpopular decisions against the will
of the people.  If you're not outraged, I guess you aren't paying attention.