Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:46:21 -0600
From:      VanHoutJ@hurlburt.af.mil
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FTPD query

Not really a FreeBSD specific question, but I figure someone has had to deal
with this before - and I hate to think NT (yuk) can accomplish something,
(even something convoluted) that UNIX can't.

Here's the situation.  We have a mainframe here that sends data via FTP to
our FTP server (FreeBSD) for base dissemination.  The caveat is this; it
outputs the data in DOS pathname construction, (i.e. data\filepath\filename)
which our ftp server views as a single long filename.  Our NT admin claims
that NT can be set to either, so naturally I assumed that there must be some
way to enable a UNIX FTP server to accept or alter DOS based pathnames.
Please don't tell me NT can do this (however moronic it is) and UNIX can't.

BTW, I already asked if the mainframe could be re-programmed.  Apparently
it's too old and no one wants to mess with it.

Thanks in advance folks.

-John