Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:11:28 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD faster than light?

> Can anybody explain why I'm using up a total of about 1.5 seconds of
> CPU time in the following examples?  This is a single CPU machine (AMD

I have an even more interesting result I think.

> === grog@freebie (/dev/ttyp1) ~ 9 -> time l -rt Mail|wc
>     3460   31133  192864
>
> real    0m0.517s
> user    0m1.230s
> sys     0m0.270s

I tried this:

/usr/home/seggers 538$ time ls -lLtr Mail|wc
      44     389    2588

real    0m0.060s
user    0m0.026s
sys     0m0.016s
/usr/home/seggers 539$ time ls -lLtr Mail|wc
      44     389    2588

real    0m0.060s
user    0m1.007s
sys     0m0.035s

I am using bash 2.0.x on FreeBSD 2.2-stable from last weekend for
this.  It can't even decide how long it wants to take!

As I thought it might be an effect of running multi user with alot of
daemons I did it again single user and the result was the same.  I
found no pattern in it.

Funny.  I now can't get it to take long again.  And once it used no
user time at all.  The latter at least one can explain.  Some time
inaccuracy due to rounding somewhere.  But what in hades causes the
additional second?

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.