Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:24:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Enough already! (Was: Where is the documentation for ibcs2?)

> Here's the gdb code to fetch registers from the u area, somewhat
> simplified (BTW, Terry suggested that this should be done with /proc,
> not with ptrace().  This won't work, because this is a COFF
> executable, and I shudder at the consequences of trying to tell an
> SVR3 executable about FreeBSD):

Wrong /dev/proc.  Use an "IBCS2" specific /dev/proc.  Yeah, you'd have
to write one.

> Well, I think I have to disagree about the value of 10%, but I agree
> that there's still a lot to be done.  As I said in a previous message,
> I have a number of pieces there for the taking, including the complete
> GNU C library for SCO (and it works!).  It's not in shared library
> format at the moment, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem if
> somebody's interested.

A shared library replacement for SCO has to map at the expected
addresses and act quite differently.  The mapping has to be established
elsewhere than ctr0.o.

Making an SCO compatible shared library will be a task.  It will be
compiler dependent, and it will have to have a sorted index facility
to implement object order (that order derived from an executable linked
with the shared lib *or* from an SCO system.  I don't know whether or
not that data is considered proprietary.  I know that 'nm' data is in
fact considered proprietary, as I expect the Lesstif project to discover
once they've completed Lesstif and release it.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.