Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:06:40 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hang on /sbin/init

--c/qAhh0/B17vdyaD

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 09:27:28AM -0600, Hokan wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I've been running a Raspberry Pi (8GB) since FreeBSD 13 was released.
>I'm running ZFS on root with three mirrored USB drives.  It's been
>working fine for months.
>
>It won't complete the boot process.  When I boot in "verbose" mode,
>I see messages that seem normal to me. The last message I see is:
>"start_init: trying /sbin/init".

I was doing exactly this in the context of wanting to install=20
zfs-on-root, but for current/14 rather than release/13.0. [1]

(some context: i already have a usb3-booting -current rpi4 that's=20
used as a testbuild because it has permanently attached a console cable
into a rpi1b used as a terminal server. That one, call it machine1,=20
is working fine. The rpi4 I'm trying to install=20
zfs-on-usb3-root-booting-without-a microsd is machine2.)

>The keyboard is responsive -- I can use scroll-lock to look at old
>messages and I can use alt-ctrl-delete to (try to) reboot.  Network
>is not responsive.

also had the idea of booting to single-user and confirm that the=20
booting gets to the same place "trying /sbin/init".

I think something's gone amiss in u-boot.

>SO, I'm unsure how to proceed.  I have backups so I can rebuild, I'd
>really like to recover my system,
>
>Help?  Advice?  Suggestions?

I'm going to try tarring up /boot on machine1, mounting with=20
mdconfig the msdos part of the installer image, removing the=20
contents of the msdos part and untarring, then booting that image.

--=20
J.

--c/qAhh0/B17vdyaD

--c/qAhh0/B17vdyaD--