Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:27:52 +0000
From:      jslivko@4evermail.com <jslivko@4evermail.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Loads on a Web/Shell Server

Hello,

I have a shell/web hosting company (4EverMail Hosting Services) and I
have a little bit of a problem with the loads on my machine. I am
hosting a few IRC servers, eggdrop bots and a few apache websites
(mainly my own), and the loads are already at 0.15 and so on. I last
CVSupped on September 25th and cannot understand what is making my
system loads go up so high. The only clue that I have is the large
ammount of CPU time being taken by the eggdrop bots and a proccess
called:

root  5  0.0  0.0     0    0  ??  DL    2Oct01  31:08.71  (syncer)

Would that be enough to cause the system to have such high loads?

Below is a copy of my uname -a:

FreeBSD equinox.4evermail.com 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Tue
Sep 25 14:36:10 EDT 2001
root@equinox.4evermail.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/EQUINOX  i386

If there are any dmesg bits that you might find useful to look at,
please shoot me an e-mail and I will be more than happy to supply
them to you. Thanks in advance for all your help. -- Jonathan