Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:31:06 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Frank Griffith" <frankg@idfw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mailling my Dynamic IP to myself

> Thanks everyone for the cool answers on how to
> get the dynamic IP my ISP assigns me mailed to
> myself. I can at least mail the IP manually. I really
> would like to have this done automatically when
> I'm away from the machine. Several suggestions
> came in on using ppp.linkup, which seems the
> obvious choice. So I followed one guys advice and
> added this line to my /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup file under the
> MYADDR: section
>
> !bg ifconfig tun0 | mail -s "IP Address" my_mail@my_domain.com
>
> This did not work. Can anyone tell me why or suggest
> something that will?

Ppp doesn't treat the ``|'' specially.  Get the latest ppp and use

  !bg sh -c "mail -s \"interface: INTERFACE; address: MYADDR\" my_mail@my_domain.com </dev/null"

If you don't want to upgrade, do something like

  !bg /etc/ppp/myscript INTERFACE MYADDR

where myscript reads:

  #! /bin/sh
  mail -s "interface: $1; address: $2" my_mail@my_domain.com </dev/null