Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:18:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merit radius detail files?

According to Andreas Klemm:

> > 1) I don't know who the "port maintainer" is...
>
> In the ports directory there is a Makefile.
> Within the Makefile there is a line
> 	MAINTAINER=	e-mail-address

Thanks.

> > 2) I'm not certain what "updating the port" means and if that would
> >    be considered (by the FreeBSD folks) as risking copyright issues
>
> Ports collection is a Berkeley make Macro mechanism.
> A "make all install" does everything from fetching from internet,
> extract source in workdir, doing local changes via patches, compiling,
> installing ... everything automatically.
>
> See http://www.freebsd.org/ports

Yep, I know that.  But if the "port" is wrong, the "port maintainer in
item #1 above would need to "update the port" -- it is this part that
I am unfamiliar with.  One could postulate many different ways to "update
the port" theoretically...  :-)

> > 3) there are no diffs, each release is self-contained and stands
> >    by itself, once we release, the old version is considered obsolete
>
> But this release has a certain name and needs perhaps other local
> diffs to make it into /usr/local ... and it has perhaps other
> installed files, so the ports PLIST file needs certainly an update,
> which is needed to install and remove ported software cleanly.

Each release of the Merit AAA Server has "a name" -- more properly a
version number.  It needs no local diffs -- it compiles/links/runs
just fine on FreeBSD.  It comes self-contained with all the files it
needs.

> Then the port gets a variable
> NO_CDROM
> in the Makefile ....

Then that is something for the "ports maintainer" to add to the diffs
area.

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu

[ Reuters, London, February 29, 1998: Scientists have announced discovering ]
[ a meteorite which will strike the earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX ]
[ coders expressed relief for being spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038. ]