Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 1995 17:39:59 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, john@pyromania.apana.org.au
Subject:   Re: TTY Names (finger/who)

>I have serial ports with the following names -:

>ttyd1
>ttyd10
>ttyd11

I assume the 10 and 11 really are 10 and 11 and not l0 and l1.

>Under finger or who - they all show up as d1 !

>Is this "normal" ?

Many utilities only support 2-letter names, and one of the letters is
'd' to distinguish dialin serial ports from ptys, vtys, etc.

Dialin serial ports are supposed to be named ttyd[0-9a-z] so that the
port number is only one letter.  Only 32 ports are supported by sio,
so /dev/MAKEDEV only creates ttyd[0-9a-v].

Bruce