Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 19:46:17 -0400
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <k.#nojunk#keithley@opengroup.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0-980311-SNAP "upgrade" post mortem

Hi,

After being reasonably happy with the 3.0-971225-SNAP I decided to give
the newest snap a try. Some general comments FYI and for your
consideration.

First I tried to upgrade, but the new snap didn't like the superblocks
in my filesystems. Nothing in any of the .TXT files warned me about
this. The only apparent solution was to newfs all my partitions. After
that I fell back to a clean install, having lost the contents of my
disks. That's okay, I didn't have anything that I couldn't restore (with
a days worth of effort). Still it was surpising that the new snap didn't
like my file systems. They'd fsck'ed fine under the prior snap. Oh, BTW,
the new snap could mount the old / (as root_device, read-only) just
fine, but when it tried to remount it read-write then it would fail.

Second, my machine has two IDE controllers: controller 0 has a disk and
the CD-ROM drive on it, controller 1 has another disk on it. Here's what
mount says:

  /dev/wd0s2a on /
  /dev/wd0s2f on /usr
  /dev/wd0s2e on /var
  /dev/wd2s1f on /usr/X11

But at boot time I get this message:

  /kernel: changing root device to wd0s3a

Slice 1 (wd0s1) is an OS/2 HPFS partition. Fdisk agrees that there's no
partition/slice 3 or 4. Why does this message not say wd0s1a?

Third, on all prior releases, including the prior snap, I could set my
default route at boot in /etc/rc.network (route add default
130.105.39.20) and it would "stick" until such time as I brought up my
ppp link. This doesn't work anymore. Should it? It is/was convenient.
Using "add default HISADDR" in the ppp.conf doesn't work either as it
tries to set it before the link is up, and that's no better than setting
it at boot.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY