Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 07:17:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        aw1@stade.co.uk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates, ccd, old drives

> On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 12:19:50AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > dataout" or similar.  This would not respond to ctrl-alt-del, and,
> > though the shells were working in other virtual consoles, they
> > could not execute anything, including "reboot". So -- cold reset
> > to the horrible fsck screenfulls.
>
> I've been getting something similar.
>
> The machine has a 2949AU adapter, with a very recent current. With
> softupdates enabled everything initially seems fine, but doing anything
> slightly heavy causes similar symptoms (forking anything takes an
> inordinately long time), with much pounding on one of the discs but
> little user program activity. It seems horribly repeatable. I did have
> systat/vmstat running for one of these near freezes, and noticed that
> freevnodes had a very low value (<10).

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that ccd allocates component
buffer headers from the main memory pool. Under low memory condition,
this allocation would cause paging, if the swap is also on ccd, more component
buffer headers are required and would cause more paging, this process
multiplies and eventually depletes all memory available, the system slows
down to near freeze. Very low freevnodes count is an indication of this
memory depletion, so is the slow fork.

Try creating a private pool for these component buffer headers, the size
of the pool should depend on how many transfers the disks can handle at
one time and should be quite small. Or alternatively, set an upper limit
on how many buf headers a ccd device could allocate from the main memory
pool.

This is just a theory. I don't have ccd myself and therefore no way to test it.

-lq