Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:25:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   multiple jails with multiple network interfaces

Hello!

I have a FreeBSD 9.0 host that is registered in DNS to appear with
multiple IP addresses:

host some.host.com

some.host.com has address a.b.c.x
some.host.com has address a.b.d.x
some.host.com has address a.b.e.x

I built multiple jails to run one service in each following mostly:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-application.html

I am trying to start each of the jails with all network interfaces this
machine has configured (with the same IP addressed as interfaces are
configured on the host system). For that I have in jail related portion of
/etc/rc.conf the following

jail_enable="YES"
jail_set_hostname_allow="NO"
jail_list="http ftp rsync pxe"
jail_http_hostname="some.host.com"
jail_http_ip="a.b.c.x,a.b.d.x,a.b.e.x"
jail_http_rootdir="/jail/http"
jail_ftp_hostname="some.host.com"
jail_ftp_ip="a.b.c.x,a.b.d.x,a.b.e.x"
jail_ftp_rootdir="/jail/ftp"

When I start jails:

/etc/rc.d/jail start

first in the list jail starts perfectly (and I can verify that service
configured to run in it is accessible on all three public IP addresses of
the machine), all other jails, however, fail to start with the message

some# /etc/rc.d/jail start
Configuring jails:.
Starting jails: some.host.com some.host.com some.host.com ...
cannot start jail "ftp"
.

If I only leave one IP address in each of the jais, they all start OK. If
I configure some jails with different IP (on the same class C network),
leaving first jail with multiple IP addresses, e.g.:

jail_http_hostname="some.host.com"
jail_http_ip="a.b.c.x,a.b.d.x,a.b.e.x"
jail_http_rootdir="/jail/http"
jail_ftp_hostname="some.host.com"
jail_ftp_ip="a.b.c.y"
jail_ftp_rootdir="/jail/ftp"

all jails start OK (first with multiple IPs, and other with single
different IP). If first (in order of start) jail is with single IP, and
next jail is with multiple IPs including the IP of the first one:

jail_http_hostname="some.host.com"
jail_http_ip="a.b.c.x"
jail_http_rootdir="/jail/http"
jail_ftp_hostname="some.host.com"
jail_ftp_ip="a.b.c.x,a.b.d.x,a.b.e.x"
jail_ftp_rootdir="/jail/ftp"

then jail with multiple IPs will not start.

I tried to search, but I didn't find anybody mentioning having this
problem or having it resolved of just having similar configuration with
multiple IPs.

Is there something obviously wrong that I'm doing?

Is it possible that there is some restriction that will not allow me to
have this configuration?

Thanks a lot for all your answers!

Sincerely yours,
Valeri