Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 06:37:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      craig@tuna.progroup.com (Craig W. Shaver)
To:        eman@defnet.com (Dr. Jeffrey C. Fogt)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd question -- remote dial up

> hi-
> i am looking for a way to communicate from my home via laptop windows
> computer to my office unix computer--would i be able to do that with bsd
> over regular phone line link- i was told i need something called emulation
> software???
> would appreciate your insight,
>             respectfully
>                                   jeff fogt

You should be able to do this easily.  Are you going to use a modem on
the BSD box to dial directly into the office UNIX box?  Then you would
use tip, otherwise you would use telnet to connect over an internet
connection.  The only hard part is setting the terminal type for the
BSD box.  If you run XWindows then most likely you would log in through
an xterm, and that would be your terminal type.  If not, then you would
probably set the terminal type to cons25 or vt100.

What kind of UNIX are you running at the office?

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088