Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 01:48:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Huppi <th@huppi.com>
To:        chris@tourneyland.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.3-Release - problem with PATH?

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 chris@tourneyland.com wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who told me about the wonderful rehash command. I firmly
> believe it will completely change my life.

Maybe, but I have seen it described in association with csh. bash,
being backward compatible with bourne shell may not even require
such acrobatics?  OTOH, hashing the available executable list was
presumably done in csh for efficiency and performance so the bash
designers may have followed suit?  man bash would tell I suppose.

>  I wonder why more make programs
> don't have it as part of their rigamarole?

Could a make script induce the shell which started it (it's parent
process?) to rehash?  Even if it could, it would be undesirable if
make was started from a sh I would think.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that if you started a new shell in another
xterm after make (or more precisely, make install), it would
preform a hash as part of it's startup and therefore have access
to the newly created executable.  This could produce the potential
for confusion if one was not vaugly cognisant of the nuances of
process creation and shell design.

> Maybe it takes a while. Oh well.

Sorry to spam the list (again)... I'm just kind of in awe at the
briliance of the designers of Unix right now!

-Tom