Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:02:45 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Click on to meet someone you Click with

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Andrew Hesford wrote:

> Yes, I see more crap. And I agree we should make the list unpostable to
> those who aren't subscribed.

It would unfortunately reduce the list's usefulness... some people
participate via the newsgroups.

> Being a young, firey student with time to kill, I usually send harsh
> letters back, occassionally with large binary attachments. Then I toss
> some identifying info in my procmail filter, which returns these
> messages with a notice, and drops them from my system.

Don't do that. You'll end up being either blocked, or you'll lose your
Internet access. There's no point in fighting 'Net abuse with more 'Net
abuse.

Instead, complain to the ISPs. Use abuse.net to forward your complaints to
the right people.

Filtering doesn't work... you might not see the spam in your inbox, but it
still hits your account. Because it gets delivered, and no complaints are
filed, your address is deemed as "live" by the spammers, and will end up
on even more Spamware "Millions of Clean Opt-In Addresses" CDs.

--
Regards,

Juha

PGP fingerprint:
B7E1 CC52 5FCA 9756 B502  10C8 4CD8 B066 12F3 9544