Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:34:08 +0200
From:      Tom Alsberg <alsbergt@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Petr Murmak <petr@cdr.cz>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Device recognition on Intel mainboard SE7520BD2

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 07:06:28PM +0100, Petr Murmak wrote:
> Problem is that this mainboard has 2 Intel PRO/1000 Network
> interfaces

As far as I recall (having a while ago looked at the specifications
of all new Intel Server Boards (SE7[53]2[05]..), and as shown from
your output of pciconf -lv, there is only one Intel PRO/1000
interface, and the other interface (on those boards with two
interfaces) is a Marvell Yukon chip on the PCI Express bus, as you can
see on pci5:0:0.

I am not sure of the current status, but last time I have checked
(FreeBSD 5.3 times), IIRC, there was some experimental driver for that
chip.  But now the latest I can see is a binary-only FreeBSD 5.4
driver from Marvell's site, after agreeing to some license:

http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=131&pId=34

I wondered why Intel did not put two PRO/1000 interfaces but has
chosen to put a Yukon as the second interface.  It was suggested to me
that Intel believed the Yukon to be able to provide better throughput
as it is connected to the PCI-Express bus - however Intel have their
own (also called PRO/1000, so I'd assume some similarity, but can
never be sure) Gigabit Ethernet chips for PCI-Express, so I do not
understand this.  Someone shed some light on this?

  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - certified insane, complete illiterate.
	Homepage: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/