Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 00:41:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "J. Weatherbee - Senior Systems Architect" <jamil@acroal.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   This IS relevant, you'll realize why later.

Does anyone have any numbers for the sum total amount of information
existing in the universe?  I would guess the appropriate way to tablulate
this would be to take the total ammount of matter in the form of subatomic
particles, and energy is photons and account for their position in three
coordinates and velocity vector.  I'm certainly no physicist, but from
what I've read there are *NO* numbers for the ammount of matter in the
universe just percentage approximations.  My guess is that you could
account for
this all in less than 2^1000 bits = 10^300, what this essentially means to
me is that it would be impractical to build a machine with a word size
expressed with more that 1024 bits (the expression of the word size, not
the wordsize itself).