Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:52:28 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel backup on 7.0

--------------enig8191DB18DD6178994DC0EC5A

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 01:58:08PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> James L=C3=B3pez (BLuEGoD) wrote:
>>
>>> Not exactly.. What I mean is that I want to reinstall FreeBSD due to
>>> some accidentally deleted files and a behavior on sendfile :S
>>> So I would like to know if I can backup /boot and the overwrite it on=
ce
>>> I have freebsd installed again...
>> Yes. If you don't change FreeBSD versions or hardware, this will work.=

>=20
> Clarification: it _might_ work.
>=20
> You need to keep in mind that the kernel/modules he's backing up will
> very likely *not* match all the binaries he has on his disks, library
> calls, possibly system calls, etc. etc...  This is why building world
> includes both all the binaries *as well* as the kernel.

I agree, but I think this is covered by "not changing FreeBSD versions" :=
)

> The reason I point this out is, when certain things in kernel-land
> change which certain programs rely upon (but haven't been recompiled to=

> be aware of that change), odd things can happen.  The most "famous" of
> the bunch is when top(1) or ps(1) start failing in bizarre ways.
>=20
> Thus, my point: it *probably* will work, but DO NOT assume that it will=
=2E

To be even more precise, it will probably (with very high certainty)
work for two FreeBSD versions x1.y1 and x2.y2 if x1 =3D=3D x2 and y1 <=3D=
 y2.
It will probably also work for any combination of y1 and y2 as long as
x1 =3D=3D x2. It will probably fail if x1 !=3D x2.