Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 12:51:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Benchmarking FreeBSD (was Re: technical comparison)

:Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com> writes:
:> Erm, folks?  Can anyone please tell me what this has to do with
:> freebsd-hackers any longer?
:
:While the thread has diverged from it's original intent, there is
:something related I consider to be a more interesting topic. If it's
:still not appropriate for hackers, please let me know.
:
:When people are doing benchmarks, I noted that there are -lots- of
:little sysctl tweaks or kernel tweaks that tend to make a big
:difference in the results.
:
:I know it is possible to define some sort of abstraction that uniquely
:specifies a complete (and/or relevant) set of these tweaks when
:comparing benchmarks. Does this already exist, and if not, how hard
:would it be to catalog every single relavent tunable parameter in a
:FreeBSD system?
:------
:Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org
:>>> The opinions expressed above are entirely my own <<<

    Well, it's been done before.  The problem is that the landscape changes
    every time we do a new release.

    I did a 'security' man page a while ago (which is still mostly relevant).
    I suppose I could do a 'performance' man page.

						-Matt