Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:18:27 +0300
From:      "Shila Ofek" <shila_ofek@hotmail.com>
To:        roam@orbitel.bg
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH UseLogin parameter

I'm working with OpenSSH-2.2.0 on FreeBSD 4.2, and from a look at the code
it doesn't work with PAM. The only reminder of PAM in the code is in file
auth1.c:
#ifdef HAVE_LIBPAM
        int pam_retval;
#endif /* HAVE_LIBPAM */
and that's it...

Should I recompile the SSH daemon with some flag or something, or do I have
the wrong version?

The lines I have in pam.conf are:
sshd  auth required  pam_radius.so
sshd account optional  pam_unix.so
sshd password required pam_permit.so
sshd session required  pam_permit.so
Is this OK?  Although I'm quite sure it doesn't get to this part at all.
The output I get when I run the daemon with -d is:

[Prompt]sshd -d
debug: sshd version OpenSSH_2.2.0
error: Could not load DSA host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
Disabling protocol version 2
debug: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
debug: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from XXX port XXX
Connection from XXX port XXX
debug: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version OpenSSH_2.2.0
debug: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.2.0
debug: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
Faking authloop for illegal user radtest from XXX port XXX

Thanks,
      Shila.