Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:32:54 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial driver

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > I have no idea why Terry completely ignores me when I tell him that
> > the current 16550 from NS is the PC16550D.  It works.
>
> A two day lag is hardly ignoring you... in any case, that's just the
> new number for the AFN, right?

1) I have been trying to get your attention about the PC16550D for at least
   twelve, and possibly as long as eighteen months.
2) No.

> > UARTs from TI and Startech have shown themselves to work quite well
> > too.
>
> Part numbers?  I've heard this from other people, but no one gives
> part numbers...

Bruce has reported that the early 16650's (TI parts AFAIK) have bugs
in their hardware flowcontrol, however I believe that their 16550
emulation is adequately functional.  Later parts (eg. the 16750)
appear to work OK, but without a local supplier to obtain samples from
I can't be certain.  Startech's part is the ST16C550CP40; all you
had to do was ask...  (Suffix is IP40 for the industrial-grade part.)