Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 20:33:48 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP on 4 Pentium III(450NX) failed

> That's the best I've run into as well. Extensive use of such tools as
> rdist or rsync helps a lot. Even better is using a SCM tool as a
> distribution mechanism, though that's stretching things a bit. It just
> seems like there ought to be a better way.

The problem seems to be that every reasonably competent admin seems to
write his or her own tools for "cluster" syncronization and management
but few bother to refine them to the extent that they're generally
palatable to others.  We're about 5 or 6 machines short of a
"respectable" cluster of 32 or so general-purpose machines at
freebsd.org but could rectify this problem fairly quickly if there
were to arise a group of people interested in "tackling the clustering
problem", generally speaking.

- Jordan