Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:23:01 -0800
From:      Brian Gardner <openjdk@getsnappy.com>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Call for Help: openjdk8 tests under Continuous Integration

Hi Craig,
I=92ll continue the investigation, I=92ve been following the openjdk8 =
posts from Kit.  I initially ported openjdk8 and was running jtreg tests =
as part of the process.  If I recall correctly the output was HTML but I =
think this is configurable, worse case I probably can convert it into =
supported xml format.  I=92m thinking we can bake running tests into the =
openjdk8 port Makefile, and use poudriere testport and pass in a script =
that will upload the results into Jenkins.  That should make it really =
easy to run and maintain this on all supported platforms. =20

Brian

> On Nov 25, 2014, at 12:11 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> Thanks, Brian!
>=20
> Well, first of all, we need someone to figure out how to run the jtreg =
tests under FreeBSD,
> and make that process reproducible.  Would you be willing to do the =
initial investigation for this?
> If you look at Kip Macy's postings on the freebsd-java list in =
October, you can see that he
> managed to get the tests to run, so hopefully Kip can answer any =
questions about what he did to get
> the tests to run.
>=20
> I'm not familiar with jtreg.  What ports are you thinking that we need =
to build with poudriere in order to run it?
>=20
> Le me try to answer your questions:
>=20
> 1)  Let's test on amd64 first, just to iron out all the issues.  Once =
we get that working, we can add more platforms, such as i386.
> 2)  For an initial effort, maybe we can schedule the tests to run once =
a week, via the Jenkins job scheduler.  We can see if
>      it makes sense to run the tests more or less frequently after =
that.
> 3)  I don't know what format the jtreg test output produces.  If it =
can produce JUnit XML output, that would be ideal because
>      it can be imported directly into Jenkins.  If it does not do =
that, then even if we make the text output of the test logs available =
online,
<mailto:openjdk@getsnappy.com>> wrote:
> Hello,
> I=92d like to help.  Sounds like those scripts would be fairly easy to =
write.  Would it be a good idea to try and decouple building of the =
ports (using poudriere) from the actual running of the jtreg tests.  In =
this plan you=92d have a separate job that builds and maintains an =
up-to-date repository of  packages for the supported platforms (10.0 =
amd64, 9.3 i386), then as part of running tests you=92d run pkg to =
update the packages as the first step.
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2014-October/010928.html =

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2014-October/010929.html =

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2014-October/010930.html =

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ci =
<https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ci>;
> (B)  Script should run under FreeBSD
> (C)  Scripts should be easy to run under a Jenkins job at
>        https://jenkins.freebsd.org <https://jenkins.freebsd.org/>;
> (D)  Followup status and discussion should happen on
>        the freebsd-testing at freebsd.org =
list
<mailto:rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>> wrote:
>>=20