Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 15:28:54 +0200
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trying to use ppp ... and failing! :-)

- Heiko Schaefer <hschaefer@fto.de>:

| now that the version number of i4b seems high enough, i decided to finally
| move from bisdn to i4b.
|
| i4b seems to work already. it compiled into the kernel smoothly and finds
| my creatix isdn-card without any problems.
| i then configured /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc (the same way that i configured the
| bisdn config file - those config's are quite similar, aren't they ?).
| isdnd starts without a problem.
|
| after that i did a spppcontrol and set my pap-secrets
| (doesnt the sppp package support using /etc/ppp/pap-secrets ?!).
| finally i set my default route to -interface isppp0.
|
| i get my ip assigned dynamically (using 0.0.0.0 as my own adress of
| isppp0), and i know the (static) adress of the isp's dial-in.
| i can ping this (static) adress, but i cant ping any other machine on the
| net (for example pinging the ip of my isp's dns doesnt get any reply)
|
| the interface isppp0 says:
|
| isppp0: flags=814<DEBUG,POINTTOPOINT,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
|         inet 0.0.0.0 --> 193.197.153.57 netmask 0xffffff00
|
| which looks good to me.

It doesn't say UP, RUNNING, and LINK1 the way mine does:

isppp0: flags=2855<UP,DEBUG,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,LINK1> mtu 1500
        inet 129.241.54.137 --> 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

| where should i look for the problem ?

Not sure, but in case it helps, here is how I set mine up:

#!/bin/sh
. /etc/isdn/pap.sh
spppcontrol isppp0 myauthproto=pap $papauth hisauthproto=none "$@"
ifconfig isppp0 inet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 link1 debug
route add default 0.0.0.1

where /etc/isdn/pap.sh containts the line

papauth="myauthname=hanche myauthsecret=XXXXXXX"

(where I replaced my password with XXXXXXX).

| another question that i'm wondering about is, if i4b makes the
| device isppp0 'up' by itself, because i believe it did that while i
| was testing.

Yes, it do so for me.  Actually, I take it down immediately at boot
time, since I do not trust it enough yet to let it be up without
supervision.

- Harald