Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:40:21 -0600
From:      "Gregory T. Norris" <haphazard@socket.net>
To:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   any known breakages in recent versions???

Hi!  I maintain a set of unofficial install-disks for Debian 2.1 (slink)
and 2.0 (hamm), patched with various versions of the aic7xxx driver.  On
the nineth of this month slink was officially released, based upon the
2.0.36 kernel with aic7xxx version 5.1.11.  Unfortunately, in the last
week I have been hearing from quite a few people who have discovered that
5.1.11 is unable to boot on their systems (many have indicated that the
install-disks from hamm, using kernel 2.0.34 w/aic7xxx 5.0.19, work
successfully).  Generally, it seems that they simply lock up just after
the "Downloading sequencer code... ### instructions downloaded."
message.

So far, systems having trouble include an old 2940 with BIOS v1.16, a
2940W, and a 2940AU (which apparently worked with aic7xxx 5.1.10 on a
Red Hat bootdisk).  I've had them try the no_reset and no_probe options,
each time with no effect.  I have requested that they all send me the
full contents of /proc/scsi, and will forward that information along as
it becomes available to me.

Are there any known problems with the more recent driver versions which
could cause these types of problems?  Any actions I should have them
try?  Or additional information (with a short description of how to
gather it) I should encourage them to capture?

Any suggestions, observations, and/or witty comments would be most
apreciated.  Thanx!