Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        pete collins <pete@postpagan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape GUI colors

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, pete collins wrote:

> just upgraded to freebsd 3.1 couldn't have went smoother

You haven't discovered the mess in /etc and the spammed a.out libraries
yet. :)

> i installed enlightenment wm just to check it out
> however when i run netscape there is no color in the GUI
> it renders web pages fine all the colors are there
> i have my colors set to 16mill as before

Here we go ...

> i thought it might just be enlightenment so i tried twm, same thing
> i never have had this problem before
> i know it is something stupid but cant figure it out
> i also tried running netscape with different args  no luck
> i wounder if it has something to do with installing gnome?
> because that is the only thing i've never run in the past.

The a.out libraries these programs were linked against were probably
spammed by the upgrade.  I suggest rebuilding all thes apps from scratch.
Netscape is a bit trickier since you need the old a.out XFree86 libraries.
You might be able to fish them out of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 by hunting for
all the libs that match the regex

lib\w*\.so\.\d*\.\d*

and moving them into an aout/ directory with a perl script.

Doug White