Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:44:11 -0800
From:      Josh Stephenson <jstep@unm.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD SATA

I'm installing on an intel DG965ss motherboard for the core 2 duo.  The
hdd is sata, but the cdrom (sony dru-120c drd/cd writer) is on an ide
channel.  Is there any reason why freebsd wouldn't be able to find this
drive.  It boots off of it fine.

In order to boot, I'm using (thanks to John Baldwin) 'set
hint.apic.0.disable=1'.  Would this be giving me problems finding the cdrom?

In case it's at all helpful:  I have tried installing suse and
slackware, neither of which can find the cdrom.  I am having the same
problem with a pioneer dvr-710 dvd/cd writer.

Is this a motherboard problem?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

-josh