Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:52:35 -0400
From:      "Peter Pflaum" <wiredbrain@earthlink.net>
To:        <synergynet@eGroups.com>
Subject:   Finding something useful -  Among the protesters

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C1111A.D9C3E340

------=_NextPart_001_0010_01C1111A.D9C3E340

The protest is a good example of Globalization -=20
"What is happening now hasn't happened since the anti-Vietnam war =
protests of the 1960s," he told me. "Young people from around the globe =
are coming together to campaign for economic justice - and our movement =
is growing."

 BBC News  BUSINESS  Among the protesters

She says the protests are as much about cultural as economic concerns, =
and praises the "radical street warriors" for showing the world that you =
cannot dehumanise people and for "reclaiming our most human desires."=20

It is important to understand the social psychological base for the =
protest. These people feel left out - big means less individual feeling =
of participation, of being part of the whole. A global peace corps and =
person-to-person contacts to help people feel global - part of a larger =
humanity. There should be ways of redirecting all this energy into =
productive activity - conflict resolution - social services - projects =
in the poor world building practical projects - maybe financed by the =
world bank - a IMF / world bank international youth corps in health, =
education, economic development would be a good start.=20

------=_NextPart_001_0010_01C1111A.D9C3E340

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#d8d8e8>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2>The protest is a good example =
of=20
Globalization - </FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2>"What is happening now hasn't happened =
since the=20
anti-Vietnam war protests of the 1960s," he told me. "Young people from =
around=20
the globe are coming together to campaign for economic justice - and our =

movement is growing."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;BBC News&nbsp; BUSINESS&nbsp; Among the protesters</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<P>She says the protests are as much about cultural as economic =
concerns, and=20
praises the "radical street warriors" for showing the world that you =
cannot=20
dehumanise people and for "reclaiming our most human desires." </P>
<P>It is important to understand the social psychological base for the =
protest.=20
These people feel left out - big means less individual feeling of =
participation,=20
of being part of the whole. A global peace corps and person-to-person =
contacts=20
to help people feel global - part of a larger humanity. There should be =
ways of=20
redirecting all this energy into productive activity - conflict =
resolution -=20
social services - projects in the poor world building practical projects =
- maybe=20
financed by the world bank - a IMF / world bank international youth =
corps in=20
health, education, economic development would be a good start.=20
</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0010_01C1111A.D9C3E340--

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C1111A.D9C3E340
	filename="BBC News  BUSINESS  Among the protesters.url"

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=3Dhttp://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_939000/939=
982.stm

[InternetShortcut]