Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:11:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        <alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP, floppy installs desupported for 5.0

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> It has become very hard to produce boot floppies for 5.0 on the Alpha
> platform.  The kernel has just grown too large.  The amount of effort
> required to get 'make release' to properly build the floppy images just
> requires too much effort.

Anyone care to provide more information on what exactly is required on the
floppy that makes it so big?  is it the _very_ wide range of
hardware/drivers needed to fit a good cross-section of the target
machines?  I'm just curious.

> We do desire to offer a small boot image (say 8 MB) that one can 'dd'
> onto the beginning of a hard disk and boot from that to do an install.

So the two options off hand will be boot from CD or boot from temp hard
disk?

Are there other, (though perhaps painful) options?  I'm somewhat concerned
that I'm going to have to open up my box and put a hard disk in it just to
do an install...

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.