Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 05:01:14 -0500
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

>From The Desk Of Michael Robinson :
> >The main argument against "let's get rid of -stable" is that -stable
> >is known to be buildable.
>
> No.  The main argument against "let's get rid of -stable" is that kernel
> panics are antagonistic to getting real work done.  Some people (such as
> myself) depend on FreeBSD to do real work.  Some people (so far, not myself)
> need bug fixes or new features as part of doing real work, and would rather
> not wait 15 months between releases.
>
> >If -current were known to be buildable,
> >it would support the argument for getting rid of -stable.
>
> If release-quality code could be packaged every three months, *that* would
> support the argument for getting rid of -stable.

Well, I think that we need -stable simply because is a stable base.
To develop -current for a long time without taking a "stable" snapshot
is really asking for it.

As for -stable going away thats fine with me . People who depend on
-stable can most likely afford to keep a -stable release till they
can justify the cost of switching to -current.

The question to ask is: when is  -current going to become -stable?

Oh and lets trimm the CC for the benefit of those who don't have
dup message protection 8)

	Cheers,
	Amancio