Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 05:35:08 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvsup of ports, then what?

Patrick O'Reilly <patrick@mip.co.za> types:
> It's so "kewl" to be so up to date! (Sorry, these young techies running
> around these days are having a bad influence on my vocabulary :)
>
> Anyway, I want to use cvsup to keep up with the ports I am using too.  I
> understand that ports are effectively CURRENT, not STABLE, that's OK.

Not quite. Ports are supposed to run on -STABLE and -CURRENT, and
generally run on everything from that branch without to much trouble.
If a particular application has the equivalent of stable and current
branches, it will show up as two different ports.

> I have a number (15 or so) of packages/ports installed.  Do I need to run
> "make" for each of my ports again?

Only if they are out of date. pkg_version will tell you what ports
are/aren't out of date. You can also set
weekly_status_pkg_enable="YES" in /etc/periodic.conf, and it will
process the outpout of pkg_version to list just the ones that aren't
up to date.

Note that pkg_version uses the INDEX file, which is in the repository
but not get up to date. For best results, you need to do a "make
index" in /usr/ports.

> Or is there something simpler that will
> know which ports I have installed and do them all together for me?  Also,
> mergemaster is a beauty when making the world - is there anything similar
> for the ports?

From what I've heard, the closest thing to "mergemaster" is the
portupgrade port. I personally haven't checked it out, but you might
want to. In the base system, you can run "pkg_version -c" to generate
a script - that you *must* edit by hand!! - that will safely build the
new port and delete the old one, then install the new port.

I was very careful with the phrasing of that last sentence, as the
reason you must edit the script by hand is hiding in it. While it's
perfectly safe to install the new version after deleting the old
version even if the old one is running, in some cases extra action is
required. For instance, upgrading a database may require stopping the
database and dumping the data files because the internal format has
changed.

BTW, deleting the old port before installing the new one is
recommended. Generally, the worst thing that will happen is wasted
space, but it might leave non-functionaly binaries or ignored config
files around which will cause confusion later.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.