Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 20:15:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   DIskless question

Hi,

I am in the need of using the diskless code for a bunch of clients
with different WD/NE2000 configurations (ioaddr & irq).

Since the if_ed driver cannot find out the ioaddr and irq autonomously,
I am forced to use different kernels to do the job.

The NETBOOT rom (which I modified slightly) can find out these
information, or can get them from the config file, but there is
no way to pass these info to the kernel before it tries to mount
the root fs (well, there should be a way, because the kernel looks
for ed0..ed9, but it is a gross hack in my opinion. Another gross hack
is to modify the rom to boot with RB_CONFIG set -- have done it but it
is not convenient at all, plus the work is lost at every reboot).

I have the following alternatives in mind:

+ add a couple of additional fields in the nfs_diskless structure,
  and change something in the kernel routines to patch the driver's
  parameter appropriately. But I am a bit afraid of changing the
  structure definition because I don't know if this is going to
  break things somewhere else (e.g. in the bootblocks).

+ modify the netboot program so as to patch the parameters into
  the freshly-loaded kernel. In a way, this could act the same as
  the manual configuration, except that the parameters are supplied
  via the configuration file.

Any ideas on what could be the less intrusive way to allow different
system configurations share the same kernel image ?

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/