Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2012 11:19:44 -0400
From:      Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
To:        Ian Chapman <packages@amiga-hardware.com>
Cc:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie - Mac G5 Dual PPC 970 @ 2Ghz

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Ian Chapman <packages@amiga-hardware.com>wrote:

> On 04/02/2012 10:12 PM, Super Bisquit wrote:
>
>             Anyway the real stumbling block is getting X to work.
>>
>> You'll need to do Xorg -configure -retro.
>>

> Thanks for the help. I had already tried this, but I've just tried it
> again to be certain and the end result is the same, ie bus error 10. Xorg
> -configure has always worked with or without the retro option but the bus
> error still happens when you start X after configuring. Incidentally Xorg
> -configure produces an indentical xorg.conf to Xorg -configure -retro.

The Xorg -configure -retro is needed so that you can edit the file. Run it
as use pastebin so that we can see it. Also let us see your /etc/rc.conf
setup.

> Should I be expecting to see a difference? A quick search suggests it just
> primarily displays the classic X hatched background and cursor.
>

>  The tutorial at the forums- a group project by direct and indirect input
>> from the mailing list members-  has a few pointers.
>> http://forums.freebsd.org/**showthread.php?t=13827<http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=13827>;
>> I know that Torfinn and Nathan both have such a machine. I'll add them
>> as a CC to the message to see if they can add a little of something.
>>

> Thanks for the link. I've seen it and tried the pointers several times in
> the last few days searching Google for some hints at what might be wrong
> :-). Everything seems as it should be. Either way, I have my doubts that
> it's anything directly to do with how X is configured radeontool

I haven't had a reason to use the radeon tool; however, I am speaking only
for myself.

> suffers the same issue.
>
> I've also looked at workarounds such as using a fbdev, which I don't think
> is possible?

Nope.  Look in the tutorial. All xorg.conf examples shoe FBDev as
off/false.

> And as a long shot - trying the VESA driver but I never really expected
> that to work.

Don't use the VESA driver as of yet. Make sure that the sysctl setting
suggested in the tutorial- information came directly from this mailing
list- are followed.  Tingo is also on the forums. He may be able to offer
help there- not a promise because I am not him.