Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 12:57:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Satya Palani <satya@netcorps.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how many virtual www server on a 2.2.6 PPro machine ?

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> What do you think, if I want to put as many virtual webservers
> as possible onto one FreeBSD (2.2.6) Machine (PPro 200, 128 MB)
> ... how many would that be ?

You should be able to hit at least 500.  Depending on how heavily accessed
the sites are, maybe more.

> The max number of IP aliases is 255 I think per network card.
> If I would like to configure 240 ... would that run or
> do you see problems ? I'd try that if you don't know.

Some OS's have this limit (Solaris), but you shouldn't have this problem
with FreeBSD.

> What about the maximum number of open files ?

Recompile libc with a higher FD_SETSIZE.  1024 has worked well for us.
Don't forget to up maxusers in the kernel too.

Satya
NetCorps/Alldomains.com