Date:      Sun, 1 Aug 2004 02:42:33 -0400
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        Paul R Culmo <pculmo@obs2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Problems with cvsup and updating files.

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 00:23:01 -0400 (EDT)
Paul R Culmo <pculmo@obs2.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Bill Moran wrote:
> > Yes, I think your supfile is wrong.
>
> > > *default release=cvs RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE
> >
> > ^^^ This line is what I believe is wrong, replace it with these two
> > lines:
> > *default release=cvs
> > *default tag=RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE
> >
> > Although I would recommend tag=RELENG_5_2_1, but that's you're call.
> >

> Thanks for the reply ,  I made the changes you suggested and re-ran the
> cvsup but then things got worse,  it deleted all the Makefiles.  I guess
> I need to start over with a vanilla src tree from the CD?  then make
> buildworld etc.. right ?

um, to my knowledge, no.  not if you've got connectivity and cvsup
installed. in fact, you don't even need to remove /usr/src, because cvsup
should take care of everything for you (ie. remove wrong files, add
necessary ones, leave correct ones).

i suspect that your standard-supfile is to blame, if anything isn't
working.  it could be that you're inadvertently pulling down HEAD, which is
by definition, not guaranteed to build.

here is a copy of my file:

--------
*default host=cvsup3.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr/
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_10
*default delete use-rel-suffix compress

# 1) change cvsup3 for the host you want to use
# 2) change RELENG_4_10 for the tag you want
# i believe that RELENG_5_2 is the correct number in your case
# this will pull down any security and other critical fixes based upon
# freebsd 5.2.x

src-base
src-bin
src-contrib
src-crypto
src-etc
src-games
src-gnu
src-include
src-lib
src-libexec
src-release
src-sbin
src-secure
src-share
src-sys
src-sys-crypto
src-tools
src-usrbin
src-usrsbin

#src-all
#src-kerberos5
#src-kerberosIV
#src-eBones
------------

1) you might find it easier to simple use 'src-all' and comment out or
delete the rest of the src-* entries.

2) if you're using a refuse file, do double check that it's contents
reflect what you actually want.  if you're not _100%_sure_ whether or not
you have one, try 'find / -name refuse -print'

3) depending on where you placed your config files, you may not be using
the correct supfile.  try feeding cvsup an absolute path, just to be
certain.  'cvsup /foo/path/to/your/standard-supfile'

hope this helps.

cheers,
epi