Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:18:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "<"<@eecis.udel.edu:alexandr@ren.eecis.udel.edu>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko <kiri@pis.toba-cmt.ac.jp>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Why still depends on gtk-1.0.5 in imlib ?

Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:17:33 -0400
From: Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@ren.eecis.udel.edu>

Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu> says:
: Hi,
:
: > I'm working on building gnome, but imlib port still depends
: > gtk-1.0.5 and gnomelib complain to need newer gtk with 1.1.1 or
: > more. Is there any reason imlib depends gtk-1.0.5? If no reason, I'd
: > like to depends imlib to gtk-1.1.1(port x11-toolkits/gtk11).
:
: We can't do this - one example is Gimp.  Gimp-1.0 will NOT run w/
: gtk-1.1*.  We'd end up breaking at least Gimp, and probably others, making
: imlib depend on gtk11.   I believe Enlightenment would also be broken.
: There are probably lots of others too.

Actually, I made this change in my local copy of ports (to use gtk11),
and e compiled and works just fine.  I'm not sure about gimp.  My guess
is that the guys that develop e/imlib follow whatever the latest/devel
versions of gtk/gimp.

Of course this may mean that when imlib 1.8 comes out, we'll need gtk11
to compile it.

Maybe it's time to make an imlib-old port?

       --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos          % - %   "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) alexandr@louie.udel.edu     % - %    thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu   % - %    drives my desires."    (8