Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:31:10 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog Server Almost Works

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 12:01:19PM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	I run syslogd with the -a "*domain" flag and am receiving
> syslog notifications from another FreeBSD system like we want.
> It is my understanding that if one uses the "*domain" directive
> as in "*hardknocks.edu" that syslogd will accept log data from
> any system whose name resolves to somename.hardknocks.edu .  We
> can't seem to get any other systems logs to show up on the same
> system that is properly logging the data from the other FreeBSD
> host.
>
> 	Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Obviously, make sure the syslog server gets the domain name you are
looking for when you do a reverse-lookup on the client's address. If
you temporarily let any host log, do you see the log entries from the
clients? Finally, if you are still stumped, run syslogd(8) in debug
mode, -d, to see what is going on.